Lee Correctional InstitutionLocation 990 Wisacky Highway
Bishopville, South CarolinaSecurity class maximum securityCapacity 1785Opened 1993Managed by South Carolina Department of Corrections
Lee Correctional Institution (LCI) is a South Carolina Department of Corrections state prison for men located in Bishopville, Lee County, South Carolina. The facility opened in 1993 to replace the decommissioned Central Correctional Institution located in downtown Columbia, South Carolina.
LCI is the largest of nine maximum-security prisons for males in the South Carolina state system. Characterized as the state's most dangerous facility, inmates took over portions of the prison twice between April 2012 and February 2013; in the four years prior to September 2012 the facility was the scene of three hostage situations and four uncontrolled fights.
On April 15th 2018, seven inmates were killed in numerous "inmate vs inmate" fights. It was reportedly the deadliest prison riot in the U.S. in the past 25 years.
LCI is known to be involved in several industries such as packaging socks, hosiery, and undergarments for private sector companies. Manufacturing apparel, mattresses, pillows and production recycling are also major components of the industry that is performed in the prison.
- 1 Further reading
- 2 See also
- 3 References
- 4 External links
- Thompson, Heather Ann (April 28, 2018). "How a South Carolina Prison Riot Really Went Down". New York Times.
- ^ Corrections, South Carolina Department of. "SCDC - South Carolina Department of Corrections". www.doc.sc.gov.
- ^ http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/06/prison-guard-held-hostage_n_1573245.html
- ^ http://www.doc.sc.gov/research/SystemOverview/population-report.pdf
- ^ "Lee prison riots fuel a call for more funds".
- ^ "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-02-03. Retrieved 2014-01-29.
- ^ https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/seven-inmates-killed-south-carolina-maximum-security-prison-after-hours-n866216
- ^ Hannon, Elliot (April 16, 2018). "Deadliest Prison Riot in Quarter Century Said to Be Gang Dispute Over Money and Territory". Slate.
- ^ http://www.doc.sc.gov/pubweb/institutions/lee.jsp
- South Carolina Department of Corrections
Coordinates: 34°11′51″N 80°13′34″W / 34.19747°N 80.22620°W / 34.19747; -80.22620
South Carolina Department of Corrections prisonsState prisons
- Allendale Correctional Institution
- Broad River Correctional Institution
- Camille Griffin Graham Correctional Institution
- Evans Correctional Institution
- Goodman Correctional Institution
- Kershaw Correctional Institution
- Kirkland Correctional Institution
- Leath Correctional Institution
- Lee Correctional Institution
- Lieber Correctional Institution
- Livesay Correctional Institution
- MacDougall Correctional Institution
- Manning Correctional Institution
- McCormick Correctional Institution
- Palmer Pre-Release Center
- Perry Correctional Institution
- Ridgeland Correctional Institution
- Trenton Correctional Institution
- Turbeville Correctional Institution
- Tyger River Correctional Institution
- Wateree River Correctional Institution
- Catawba Pre-Release Center
- Walden Correctional Institution
- Campbell Pre-Release Center
- Coastal Pre-Release Center
- Lower Savannah Pre-Release Center
- South Carolina Penitentiary
- Stevenson Correctional Institution
- Watkins Pre-Release Center